"If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed." -Mark Twain

Monday, October 19, 2009

Whining about.... EVERYTHING

While scanning I came across a commentary in The American Statesman by what seemed to be one pissed off right-winged Republican named Dale Pyeatt. Pyeatt is outraged by the idea of Obama's health care reform . Pyeatt is apparently upset because Medicare will be cut to help pay for part of the health care reform. He believes that while he has worked 2 jobs for more than 40 years EARNING his share of Medicare the people who would mainly benefit from the Health care reform plan have not. He is appalled by the idea of "pay[ing] for someone else's health care."




Its difficult to sympathize with Pyeatt's opinion because the tone and mood he uses throughout the commentary. He starts by calling the opposing party names. Next, he criticizes the president. Then he bluntly stereotypes the "type" of people who would benefit from Obama's health care plan. Pyeatt says, "I am sick of liberals whining" but cant portray a message without whining himself.





Pyeatt is obviously very compassionate about this issue but this commentary was written very hastily and poorly. Pyeatt seemed to be speaking angrily and emotionally. While he is already speaking to a largely republican population who already don't like Obama; they already agree with his way of thinking. He would have been better off making his argument more appealing to people who dont already agree. He failed this objective miserably they are the people who are in need of convincing. His message was entirely too cluttered with rude, meaningless comments to convey his true opposition. He doesn't portray a good argument with evidence to back it up. He offers no alternate solution and offers nothing but negativity.



The worst part is that I agree with him. But I also don't have health insurance. I pay for my own schooling and housing AND I work. But I can't afford health insurance but I still agree with him. I Don't the health care reform plan is such a great Idea and I am personally effected because I need health care coverage. However Pyeatt's commentary is so unappealing that I wouldn't admit that else where. I think the health care reform is a big mistake, I think it is going to be a great burden to our country in the long run. I think we'd all be better off managing instead a way to lower health insurance costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment